Friday, January 13, 2012

5 Blockbusters I am literally squeeing in anticipation of in 2012.



I don’t know whether it’s just that whoever is doing the trailers at the moment is brilliant or what but I am excited for movies this year. 2012 is shaping up to be a big year for blockbusters with some of the most anticipated films ever hitting our screens.

These films need little introduction; you’ve probably already been saturated with propaganda but goodness they’re captivating. These are the films that cause people to line the streets for hours and I am not even ashamed to say that I will be one of those people. So without further ado these are the five films my fangirl heart is beating for in 2012.



5. The Dark Knight Rises – July 20


 If 2011 was the year of the sequel then 2012 is the year of the threequel and the first film on my list contributes to that. After the critical and commercial success of The Dark Knight (2008) I am sure I am not the only one that is waiting with baited breath for the third film in the newest incarnation of the Batman franchise. 

They might not have the amazing Heath Ledger this time but this film still has a cast to die for. Christian Bale’s voice is still sexy as hell and Michael Cane’s as classy as ever. This time they also have the additions of Tom Hardy as Bane and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a Gotham city cop (I’m hoping in uniform). There is also the surprising casting of Anne Hathaway as Selena Kyle aka Catwoman. Seems strange I know but after Inception (2010) I am pretty much willing to trust Christopher Nolan with this one.



4. The Amazing Spider-Man – July 3


 Some might say it’s a little too soon for a re-boot, I know everyone is still a little but sore after Spider-Man 3 (2007).  And I have to admit I was pretty skeptical at first but I love a good superhero movie and I have always had a soft sport for nerdy little Peter Parker so I was willing to give it a chance.  Then every announcement they made got me more and more excited.

First it’s directed by Marc Webb who is responsible for (500) Days of Summer which has become one of my all time favourite films. Then I found out the beautiful Andrew Garfield would be our new Spider-Man and I was completely hooked. But the real kicker was the fact that the love interest is to be Gwen Stacy (which if they go by the comic books is only going to end in glorious tears) and she’s played by it girl Emma Stone. I haven’t even seen it but I already love this movie, the only reason it doesn’t make it higher in my list it the number of “fade to blacks” in the trailer.


3. The Avengers – April 4


Two words – Joss Whedon. I mean sure I would be exited about the ultimate Marvel movie anyway but the fact that Joss is at the helm takes my excitement to a whole new level. I’m serious every time I think about it I let out a little whimper of joy. I mean this movie has everything including a whole bunch of very hunky men and Scarlett Johansson in a leather cat suit.

I don’t really know all that much about the plot, mainly because I so want it to be good that I am afraid to look. And this is not just because of Joss. It’s because Iron Man was so good, and Thor and even Captain America – Marvel is doing so very well with this and The Avengers is ultimate test. It’s either going to be the greatest superhero movie ever made or the world’s biggest disappointment.

But hey anything that has Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury is going to be entertaining no matter what. I mean come on – that’s awesome. 


2. The Hunger Games – March 23


If you haven’t read these books, then I don’t know where you have been hiding but get out from under that rock and get to it. Sure it has quite a few similarities with Battle Royal (for anyone who is familiar with that book or film) but this story still blows me away. It does what good Sci-Fi always does and presents a brilliant commentary on contemporary society or at least what contemporary society is heading for.

I was worried when I heard they were adapting this novel for the screen. I was afraid it would lose its edge and they would turn it into a Twilight clone. But it’s got both the novels author Suzanne Collins and Gary Ross at its heart and everything I see makes me fall more and more in love with it. To top it all of Jennifer Lawrence is the perfect choice for Katniss – a character that is just going to blow Bella Swan out of the water and have everyone cowering in admiration.

The thing about the book is that it is heartbreaking, distressing and extremely harsh, trust me this isn’t just a silly teenage romance (despite what some the fangirls might tell you). The best part is the adaptation doesn’t seem to have lost any of its edge. So move over Harry Potter there’s a new series in town


1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – December 14



I have been waiting for this movie for as long as I can remember. I am more excited about it than I was about LOTR. And I was really very excited about LOTR. I guess this silly little tale about a hobbit and his accidental adventure holds a special place in my heart, it was my favourite book when I was a kid. When they made LOTR I thought I had missed my chance of ever seeing it on the big screen and after they announced it I lost faith when I heard Peter Jackson wasn’t directing. I might not love him as a director but he’s passionate and he seems to get Middle-earth so I think it’s probably safest in his hands. But it’s all-good because he is back on board and it is looking fantastic.

Now that I feel like it’s in capable hands I can sit back and watch my childhood come to life. The trailer just makes all tingly – in a good way – I may have even starting screaming things at the screen like “Gollum” and “Sting”. Also the Dwarves singing gives me goose bumps.

If you have never read The Hobbit as a kid then you are missed out, so don’t miss the movie. If your still not convinced Martin Freeman (aka the most adorable man on the planet) is in it. 







Well there you have it, 5 films that I will be knocking over children to be first in line to see.

What’s on your list? Comment below.

Been a pleasure as always,

UndieGirl xx