Monday, April 15, 2013

Talking Teen Wolf: This will definitely hurt!



On Saturday the Teen Wolf tumblr teased that they would release a hint of the trailer that was soon to be screened. All they gave us was 7 seconds of wolfs bane blowing in the wind and three words: THIS MIGHT HURT, but it was enough to send the fandom into a frenzy. That’s nothing compare to when the actual teaser was released. You know what Teen Wolf – “This Might Hurt” is not an accurate enough assessment of that trailers effect because was already bloody hurting now it just feels like you pushed salt in the wound.

But in all seriousness, let’s talk about the Teen Wolf promos and the MTV Movies Awards.



First things first – here’s what happened before this epic weekend:


Now let’s get to the good stuff. So we knew the first teaser trailer would be released during the MTV Movie Awards this weekend – but just to keep us on our toes the Teen Wolf Tumblr gave us the tagline a day early. I know the tagline doesn’t seem like much but it says so much about the tone of the season. While it doesn’t tell us what actually happens in the episodes it does tell us what TPTB want to highlight and it looks like it’s going to be a rough one for Teen Wolf fans.

(Source)
“This Might Hurt” – I don’t know about you but I love it. It’s simple, too the point and lets us know that a lot of awful things are about to happen to characters that we really love. Come on you know that as much as we complain we’re masochists at heart: we live for the pain.

Even if you don’t enjoy emotional distress as much as the rest of us, this is good tag line. It’s certainly miles above the first two seasons: “Never Love a Wild Thing” and “Trust the Instinct”. Three strong words with fantastic emotional impact, honestly even if I didn’t watch the show I’d be intrigued.

Also is everyone ignoring the clear innuendo in this tagline? Are you all trying to better than that? Because I’m not. I’m not better than that. I’m really not.

“This might hurt,” said Derek the actor to Stiles the bishop (yes I am talking about butt sex and no I have no shame).

Come on, like you guys weren’t thinking the same thing.

(Source)

Moving on from my inappropriate jokes… the MTV Movie Awards happened and all our fav Teen Wolf stars were in attendance including: Tyler Posey, Dylan O’Brien, Crystal Reed, Daniel Sharman, Tyler Hoechlin, Ian Bohan, Keahu Kahuanui, Charlie and Max Carver. In fact Teen Wolf’s Holland Roland hosted MTV’s red carpet special (and she was adorable).

Event’s like these remind me that while the Teen Wolf cast are well known within the fandom – they aren’t really that famous in the scheme of things. These adorable people were pushed through the red carpet early and clearly they only got decent seats because they are MTV employees. That’s okay though because they are talented bunch and soon enough other people will understand their awesomeness, and really it's kind of nice to have them all to ourselves.


The awards themselves were standard enough – the Teen Wolf cast sat together (except for Hoechlin who was sitting with his lady, Miss Brittany Snow – congrats on the Pitch Perfect win Brit – and who can blame him, if I had the option to sit next to someone as lovely as Brittany I’d do it in a heartbeat). Posey and Dylan we’re adorable on the red carpet, Daniel Sharman lent Crystal Reed his jacket and Tyler Hoechlin still has terrible fashion sense… but at least he tried. Also when Rebel Wilson interacted with some of the front row celebs, Posey can be seen waving for attention in the background (don't ever change T-Pose).


All right, it’s time. Let’s talk about the first Teen Wolf Season 3 promo. If you haven’t seen it, I suggest you watch it right now:


I know I am biased to all things Teen Wolf but that promo is seriously awesome right? This might sound patronizing but that is a proper grown up trailer. It’s dark, intriguing and chock full of symbolism.

It starts so peacefully – Scott underwater but calm then the tone shifts forcibly as we realize that he’s not only drowning but he’s being held under water. The final reveal that it is in fact Scott drowning himself is shocking but still understandable. It fits with everything we have heard about Scott’s journey in Season 3  so far but it’s so much more intense. He’s not only moving forward he’s literally destroying the person he used to be. That’s powerful stuff and I am so excited to see where they take him.


We didn’t get any actual footage yet but personally I think that is better. So far this has been a well thought-out and well-executed promotional plan and I cannot wait to see what they give us next.

Unfortunately I have heard there were a few people upset that the promo focused on Scott alone. I’d say just ignore them but a few of you asked me to comment on it so here goes (I honestly can't believe we are still having this conversation). Tyler Posey is the star of the show – Teen Wolf is Scott’s journey. All the other characters have their own path to follow but the story that Jeff and the rest of the team are telling is Scott’s so it makes sense that the promo would focus on him.

I also want to point out that this is a 30 second teaser – it’s not even a real trailer and it doesn’t used any actual footage from new episodes. Don’t get me wrong, it’s awesome and I am super excited to have it but I wouldn’t worry about the distribution of screen time (I an guarantee you that your favs will get just as much screen time – probably more – as they did before).

This is me trying to be nice because really if you’re already complaining about stuff like this then you should probably just give up now. Chillax, we just got a promo this is a time for celebration not anger. Mostly though the fandom has been amazing! So many talented people doing incredibly talented things. 

I'm just so excited to have the gang back together again - united in our love for Teen Wolf and our genuine astonishment that Tyler Hoechlin can't find a jacket that fits.

(Source)

All right guys, that’s all I have the time and energy for (it’s been a big day) but please let me know what you think about the Teen Wolf promo. Did you like it?

Talk to you next week! 

Read more Talking Teen Wolf here.